Bins

Bins

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Bottomless Laundry Basket

We all have that part of our houses we hate to admit to, that we're not proud of. Sometimes there is even more than one. I will share a place in my house that gets sometimes too much attention, but still doesn't get put to rights perfectly: The laundry basket.

For some reason, there are somewhat unique items that make their way into the hamper. They actually even get washed. They get dried. They get folded. They get put into the laundry basket. They are imparted with good intentions. They sit. And they sit. And they sit. And they remain in the basket until the next time laundry needs to be folded. So then, I take them out of the basket and put them on the bed, or the chair, or the dresser. And then, in a hurry, they get put back into the laundry basket since they didn't get put away before bed time. And the morning begins with a full basket of clean laundry that doesn't have a home.

Sometimes they are the same items of clothing that hide out in the bottom of the hamper for weeks, and even months. Sometimes it's because they don't quite fit, or because they only get worn occasionally, or even because they don't belong in any drawer that has been already designated for something else in the dresser. I'm not really sure of the reason behind the bottomless laundry basket. In reality, a person would think it would be beneficial to try to keep the laundry basket as empty at all times as possible, because heaven knows there's more than enough laundry without having it lurk in places that are known only to the housekeeper. One thing I do know for sure though, is that if there's a missing sock, or undergarment, chances are it could be hiding in the bottom of said hamper or laundry basket. So there you have it: one of my deep, dark secrets. Although, now that I've emptied the laundry basket so I could take a picture of it, maybe I'll keep it that way. You know: "Everything in its place and a place for everything". It's a great idea, even in theory….

2 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

I have two places...my bathroom and the refrigerator. It's sad.

I dream that in heaven there will be no laundry....or that's what hell will be like, eternal baskets of laundry from heaven. Hee, hee!

Kathy said...

I think Hell could possibly be (in jest of course) searching for the ever-loving LOST SOCK!!! I hereby stand comforted by photos that look so familiar to me. Thanks Traci!!!