Bins

Bins

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine’s Day 2009


I know, I know. Two posts in just over 24 hours. I just had to share a couple of pictures. First here's a picture of the Valentine's Cake I made for Scott. It's a Red Velvet layer cake with Cream Cheese icing. I started doing this for Scott for Valentine's before we got married and I think I've made one every year since we have been married, with the exception of maybe one. This year I fancied it up a little just for fun since I was feeling a bit out done. You see, typically Scott remembers Valentine's Day, but it's either on the morning of that day or at some point during the day since I'm busy huffing around and acting more than a little annoyed that he apparently didn't remember. In Scott's defense, this particular "holiday" falls right in the middle of the first cycle of calving heifers, so most of the time, he doesn't even get to town. But this year, not only did he remember, he even bought cards for all four of the kids, AND his parents. And I got more than just a card: see picture #2.


I think it helped that Scott and I had a long talk about those days that women think are important: birthdays, anniversaries, and Valentines Day. It's not that we necessarily expect fireworks for gifts like diamonds, vacations, or the like (although we'd certainly take them!!!). We just expect that our other half thinks about us and makes the effort to do something special. The fact that Scott was planning ahead—he got everything for Valentine's day on Monday the 9th—made it even that much more special. We had planned to go out for dinner somewhere in Miles City, but decided to stay home since Alli was finally feeling better, and Ben was not feeling so great. We had porterhouses grilled outside with baked potatoes, green bean casserole, toast, and cake with ice cream. And I'm pretty sure they were better steaks than anywhere in town. Plus, we didn't have to drive 80 miles to do it.



So I just wanted to take a little time to brag on my hubby for the kind of Valentine's Day I always wished I could have. Love you honey!

8 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

WOW!!!!
He wins Husband of the Month...
You win Wife of the Month for that cake...
Your kids win Cutest Kids of the Month, with their frizzled little heads....

Anne said...

Eric says to tell Scott thank you and good work from the other men in the area that didn't remember/get the chance to do shopping for their wives this week (to his credit, we had a wonderful dinner at the Cafe earlier this week though). I'm with Mary....you guys take the cake (hehe) on V-Day celebrations!

TraciG said...

I made a mistake, now you are going to expect this all the time. I don't know if I can keep it up. Love you dear.

scott said...

OK now I'm on the right side of the computer. Don't expect it all the time!! I have a bad memory. Love yu dear. thanks for the cake I love red velvet cake.

The Farmer's Wife said...

HA! I love that Scott posted with your profile!

And about the Horns on the side...
I just have to say this: They were de-horned by my Red Raiders this year! Guns Up!

Joni said...

Traci,

I am so glad you found my verse and it worked for you. Our preacher has been preaching about the in-dwelling Holy Spirit for a few weeks now and I was lead to that particular verse. The peace and joy that come from the Holy Spirit just baffles me. This life can be so overwhelming that I sometimes let it get me down, when I know there is better way. So that is what I am working on!

I scanned your blog a little and it does sound like we have a lot of similarities. I was a teacher, also. I taught K/1st grade for four years. After I had my second child, I decided it was better to stay home. I thank God for that opportunity. Since then I have had one more and am content with the three children. My oldest is 5, then 3 (almost 4) and my youngest is about a year and a half. Beside the ranching habit, my husband is a general contractor.

I just had a discussion with a few people yesterday about public schools. Even being from a rural area and having the benefit of small schools, there are some concerning issues. Are you on the school board?

Thanks for commenting!

Joni

Marisa said...

Wow, I am impressed. Could you be more specific on how that holiday conversation went? John was the first to say Happy Valentine's day, and we did have dinner out in Miles earlier in the week. He's not as impressed with eating out as I am, but then, who does a majority of the cooking? I guess I should be flattered that he appreciates my cooking more than a restaurants, right?

Kathy said...

I'm impressed with the likes of you and Scott both, Traci. Way to go!!!