Bins

Bins

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MUD!!!

I'm going to sound a bit like a "farmer" here. By that I mean "we" (meaning farmers) have the reputation for complaining about the weather. It never makes us happy. It never does what we want, when we want it to. (Sounds a little like life right?)

"It's too dry, we could sure use some moisture."
"We're harvesting, we don't need any rain right now."
"These open winters sure make it easy on the cows."
"We could sure use some snow to get some runoff."
"This darn snow. I can't get the hay to the cows."
You get the picture. And I hate to complain, because we really did need some runoff for the bone dry reservoirs around here.
But I'm going to. I HATE MUD!

And here are a few reasons:

Boots after coming in from the car.


And these are the front steps to our house :










Because this is how the driveway looks

And this is the way to the barn.

So is it any wonder really, that at this moment, mud is not on my list of favorite things?

But like I said, I'm a country girl at heart and when my yard is greening up, the lilacs don their purple crowns, and the winter wheat pokes its green head out of the long sleep of winter, I'll be thanking God for all this mud.

Do me a favor: The next time I start whining about the hot, dry, dusty world we live in, point me back to this post to remind me to be thankful for all things. As it says in Zechariah 10: Ask the LORD for rain in the springtime; it is the LORD who makes the storm clouds. He gives showers of rain to men, and plants of the field to everyone.

Thank you Lord, for all this spring moisture! (Even the mud.)


8 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

AMEN!

However, I hasten to add, that if there are those reading this who are interested in a fancy, shmancy spa-like mud treatment, we will be happy to oblige, for a small fee! Included in the treatment is a steaming cup of tea and entertainment by the toddler/preschooler duo Glasscock and Co. A little more money will get you cheesecake from the Frozen Dog Cheesecake Factory.

(Little plug, so your camera fund may get refilled...)

The Farmer's Wife said...

AMEN!

However, I hasten to add, that if there are those reading this who are interested in a fancy, shmancy spa-like mud treatment, we will be happy to oblige, for a small fee! Included in the treatment is a steaming cup of tea and entertainment by the toddler/preschooler duo Glasscock and Co. A little more money will get you cheesecake from the Frozen Dog Cheesecake Factory.

(Little plug, so your camera fund may get refilled...)

The Farmer's Wife said...

oops.

Marisa said...

Traci,
I wanted to post something about mud, also, but figured I would get negative comments about the moisture! And, it would dirty up my new background!
But I'm with you. I cringe every time the kids go outside, every time they run and slide, because if they are mud soaked from falling in it, it gets everywhere, and it drives the mothers crazy. I'm not sure why, really; if they were home, they'd be in the barnyard, but I digress. Besides, I don't have to do their laundry. Of course, my black dress pants look right uptown with brown mud splatters! Okay, now that I've blogged all that I wanted to for my blog in your comment space, I'll stop. Thanks for not making me do laundry on my blog!!

scott said...

Hey, I love mud. If it weren't for mud we wouldn't be able to have mud in our wonderful home, because we wouldn't have a wonderful home. We could live in town and complain about the neighbor running his snowblower at midnight or the neighbor that looks thru his binocs into our house. You get the picture. I love getting stuck and leaving ruts. I'll look at those in August when it's hot and dry and think, my gosh I can't believe it was that muddy. I am not going to clean my shop until the mud and dirt is piled so high that I'm 3 inches taller.

Kathy said...

Mud isn't on the radar here in Phoenix. The photos bring back memories...of mud. I have the same disdain for the composite as you, Traci. Hugs to all!

The Farmer's Wife said...

I'm guessing that farmer who spoke so eloquently about the mud isn't on his hands and knees getting it out of the porch...

I love the smell of the mud, and when I was little, I could spend hours making rivers, dams and diversions in the mud. There's NOTHING like good old gumbo for cementability!

And Celestia and I were laughing, watching the ladies leaving your party yesterday...in the mud. Funny!

Kristi said...

Came over from Kathy's blog -- and yes, here in Phoenix it's hard to relate to such mud! But when it rains, it pours... perhaps I'll let my kids make some mud pies in your honor!