Bins

Bins

Monday, March 16, 2009

Over the Creek and Through the Hills...

to Grandparents house we go....

Yesterday after church, we took the kids for a drive over west to Gus and Karen's house. The sun was shining and the weather was warm, so we had a great time watching the water from the melting snow run down the barrow pits. We also saw baby calves scattered throughout sagebrush pastures.

When we got there, we had to watch the final minutes of the Big 10 Championship game featuring Purdue and Ohio State game. Adam was a little disappointed, as he has decided that the Buckeyes are now his team. We all jumped in the pick-up and took a drive over the hill to Grandpa's newly developed spring and what will hopefully be his trout pond. Ben almost got stuck in quicksand, but despite that brief "emergency" we all enjoyed the hike and the fresh air.

Then Gus and Scott, along with Haley and Adam watched the unveiling of the March Madness bracket while Karen cooked chicken strips (which are according to Adam, better than you can get in a restaurant even). Gus also gave Scott and I a tour of the new calving barn and we looked at the lonely two heifers that are yet to calve. We had a great dinner complete with Karen's better-than-any-restaurant chicken strips, steak, yummy cheesy potatoes O'Brien, Caesar salad, and garlic bread; followed up with apple pie and 'cookies and cream' ice cream (not so sure about that flavor combination, but hey it worked). I even got to have a glass of wine from the bottle that's been chilling in my fridge for the last month. I always hesitate to open a whole bottle by myself since I don't usually drink more than one glass at a time, and I hate to waste a good thing. Gus, Karen and Scott were kind enough to share it with me. We had a great visit while the kids were hanging out watching "The Fox and the Hound".

Despite the tired and crabby kids I have today, it was a great Sunday afternoon!

3 comments:

Anne said...

I sure love the family pictures, especially of the kids in the back of the pickup! You and Mary will definitely be missed for CUPS this week though!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Mighty handsome Glasscock bunch! I'm keeping an eye on the trout pond...you know I have a virgin fly rod, and that's a lot closer than Red Lodge or the Bighorn.

I'm glad you had such a nice afternoon. You had the privilege, of course, of being with Garfield County's finest hosts, and that is always a treat.

I'm bushed...going to bed.

Kathy said...

What great photos! I really think Karen pretty much has the market on the delicious food thing. How come it never tastes that good when I fix it??