Bins

Bins

Monday, May 25, 2009

DIY: Yard Makeover

We've had some exciting times here at the homestead. Last week, the trucks started hauling gravel in for our mile and a half long road from the highway to the ranch. Friday, they arrived to the yard and brought 2 and a half loads for our driveway. Now to some of you that doesn't seem like much excitement. But when we're used to this:
This is a great alternative!!!


While grandpa, Dallas and Daddy were hauling and spreading gravel, Mommy, Ben and Alli decided a little yard work was in order. We worked on the bed on the south-west side of the house, removing leaves, moving rocks, trimming perennials, and clipping grass. It's amazing how helpful a 5 year old and a two year old can be when you give them tasks. I think they love to feel useful and better yet, be with Mom and Dad where the action is!

They also had to try out the sprinkler, to make sure that the water was still wet and that they would get cold if they got soaked in 70 degree weather. It was and they did!

Then it was time to move on to the whiskey barrel planters and the bed to the west of the house aka "the sauna". We puttered around planting petunias, spikes, moss roses, osteopermum, and a few other varieties that can handle the hot and hotter. Alli was my faithful assistant, dropping the plants into the holes I dug, and then "carefully" pressing the dirt all around.


I have to say that all the rain we've had this spring make any of the superficial additions pale in comparison to the beautiful natural green color that is all around us!

Of course there is still a lot to do. The north bed needs some serious work (I still have a mini-lilac bush to place there too!) and I'm going to have to re-seed a couple of patches of lawn, again. And there are always weeds to pull. Thankfully, I'll never be out of something to do! We've received a little over a quarter of an inch of rain today so that's going to help all of the seeds in the ground: garden, flower and crop!

4 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

AT LAST!!!
A naked child who doesn't carry the last name of Pluhar! (But she's purtineer a Pluhar...)

I'm so jealous of your gravel, I can hardly type this. But how cool! SOOO, if I'm ever rained OUT of my house, I can come to YOURS!

Nice posies...
Nice toesies...

Kathy said...

Is there any way the Glasscock gene could possibly make its way around the gravel to ensure atleast one necessary dig-out per Spring??? : ) Ah, what a nice change. Gravel! And flowers and memories for Alli and Ben to boot! Well done, girl.

Texas Ghostrider said...

I though spreading gravel on my 1/4 mile driveway was bad.....

Nice picture of the fence and wagon wheel

scott said...

Now Kathy the glasscock's never get stuck.....in a place that is close to the road or near a tractor. We'll still get stuck because I just have to drive somewhere that there isn' t gravel, even if I'm just heading to town.