Bins

Bins

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I'm the woman I was sure I'd never be....

This a quick one, because I have quite a few projects to do today while my kiddos are out of the house.

It occured to me last night, as I was sitting at the country school board meeting, that I'm in a place I would never have guessed. I was sure I'd never live in the country when I was growing up. I used to count the hours when I was at the ranch until I got to go back to town and be with all my friends. I'm quite a social person normally, which is no surprise to those of you who know me. I was also pretty sure I'd never have kids. I didn't 'love' little kids, like many of my friends, I didn't enjoy baby-sitting when I was younger, and plus when I wasn't married by 30, I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen. Heck, I didn't even think I'd get married! I was a teacher, and never in my wildest imagination would I ever have thought I'd be on the other side of the table of a contract negotiation as a sitting board member! And as I looked at my black coat last night, I saw evidence of cat hair.

So now, here I sit, a happily married, stay-at-home mom with four kids who make me laugh, pull my hair out, and make me feel essential. Our place is 40 miles from the nearest town, (30+from my nearest friend). I'm on the Cohagen School board. I live with a black cat named Sweetie who has made me quite fond of him!

And the best part is that I like it! I crave being able to stay home for an entire day and evening, away from the hustle and bustle of "town", with my husband and kids, having a big evening meal around the old supper table as we hash over the events of the kids' days.

I've even come to terms with picking a few stray cat hairs off of my clothing. Life is good at the place I never thought I'd be, even better than I ever thought!

2 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

Isn't it good that God doesn't keep us where we thought we should be but instead nudges us to where we truly belong?! I'm not a Garth Brooks fan by any means, but the song that says "Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers..."; that's it.

You're a pretty tough act to follow around, I'll tell you that. You're an amazing mother and wife, an essential friend, and somehow you always have the right chocolate for every occasion.

Love you!

scott said...

Glad to hear you still love me even after I give you dirty looks, and yell at you when we work cows, and harvest grain. I agree we are pretty blessed to be able to live where we do and not have all the stress of being busy bodies. We are plenty busy, but we can get away from it out here and not be reminded of it constantly. That's why I claim we don't have to go on vacation very often, because this is where most people would want to go on vacation. Good post dear. Love you!!