Bins

Bins

Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Back at Thanksgiving

I've been more than absent from my writer's post this last month. It seems the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was more of a blur this year than it is usually. Part of it may have been that I hosted Thanksgiving this year, so there was more of a flurry leading up to Thanksgiving than usual. I did some ripping of wall paper and painting and serious cleaning, including shampooing carpets before everyone came. My mom and dad, sister Terri and her family, brother Frank and wife Alex (her first big family event as family) all drove over, and sister Cindi and her pilot husband flew down in their Cessna.

This year was quite a treat because my 96-soon-to-be 97 year young grandma joined the rest of my immediate family. She and I had a serious pie-making tutorial on Thanksgiving morning. She's the master at making pie crust by feel! She cracked me up, because I had asked her to help me make the pies (which tickled her to no end to feel useful) so she came with the flour, salt and shortening already mixed up. She followed the recipe to a "T" because she wanted to show me how it's supposed to feel. Pie crust is one thing that kind of eludes me. Anyway, she was just flat disgusted with our dough... she determined that the recipe she used had way too much fat in it... based on how the crust was coming together. She usually just mixes it together by how it feels! She did give me some good hints about how a crust would feel if there were too much flour, or lard, or even water and how to fix it. I haven't really attempted a pie on my own, because there's no one here to eat it except Scott and me, and I'd end up eating more of it than he would, so I'm waiting for an event to try my hand at it again.


We did a traditional meal, with Mom close by to assist any turkey and dressing disasters! There was a big bird, homemade bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, 7 layer salad, frog-eye salad, a huge relish tray, and buns---followed by pumpkin, apple and peach pie.

It was a beautiful day and the kiddos all went outside after lunch. It was great fun to watch from a distance all the pink and purple (5 girl cousins under 6) chasing the two boys wearing blue and red. All too soon it was time for everyone to hit the road or the air... We watched a little football before hitting the hay in preparation for the big shopping trip.

Yes, I know. I'm one of those people who have always looked at those crazy early morning shoppers with a certain amount of disdain... What on earth could be that important! But, my new sister-in-law, Alex, has always done the early morning thing with her family, and really wanted to go, so I agreed. And as it turns out, we had a good time, and I found some GREAT deals that turned into great Christmas gifts. But that's for another post. All in good time my friends....


Mom and Gram

Gathered Around the Table



Getting Ready for Take Off


Up


Up


And AWAY!! (the little speck... heading toward Canada--almost)

No comments: