Bins

Bins

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Book Club--February Installment

Ahh, yes. The long awaited evening of bookclub was tonight. Problem is, everyone is BUSY! We are in the middle of calving and colds, Scott with both and the kids and I with the latter. Rumor has it a couple of ladies were heading off to ski for the weekend, another was calving, and still another, home with a sick kiddo (which mostly came from my sick kiddo--sorry for that by the way!!).

So, it was a rather small-ish group tonight, gathered at Celestia's cozy home for a lovely chicken divan and book discussion.  Clara and Marisa journeyed South together with Everett, crackers and veggie dip, along with some tasty bread and the strawberry limeade which were the missing skiiers' contributions. I journeyed North, with a green salad, complete with green apples, bleu cheese, purple onion, craisins, sunflower seeds and spring greens with dressing of choice, and 3 bottles of wine: a chardonnay, white merlot, and moscato--because the calver hadn't been to town and didn't think she'd be going. Thelma went North and then came back South before going home, West, and brought a lovely raspberry-cream cheese pie for dessert. MMMMmmmm good! We actually discussed the book first, before diving into any food besides the appetizer.

Only two of the six gathered had actually had a chance to read the book, The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West, in its completion; the rest of us were between a quarter to half of the way done. I told you we were busy! But we all agreed that the characters were a lot of fun, and we all identified in one way or another with one of the children--most of us with Cordelia who really had no talent at anything, but at least she looked cute! We decided the mother was brave and resourceful, the dad kind of a putz, and the younger two sisters, kind of brats. No one knew quite what to make of the poltergeist, but the two who finished said it kind of worked itself out by the end of the story. Celestia described it as a "dense" book, meaning tough to get through because it was so full of rich description. It certainly wasn't a fast read! There was definitely a different pulse to our gathering this time. The crowd tonight was made up more of the quiet and wise ones, rather than the loud and animated ones (and we're smart too!). It was relaxing and enjoyable to be around a group of ladies who make a girl feel comfortable enough she can show up in sweats and no make-up, because it was one of those kind of days....

I had to leave a little early so I could get home and tend to the kiddos so the husband could get some rest, so it was kind of a short meeting for me. Next month is my pick for book club, and so I've been wrestling over my choice since September. Finding a book for book club is one of the most challenging processes I go through in a year. It has to be a good book. And by good, I mean not too deep, but not too light, not too sad, but not too happy, not too classic, but not too contemporary, not too secular, but not too spiritual.... you get my drift. It's a tough thing to do! On top of that, it goes without saying you have to find one that not everyone has already read... especially Mary!

 I did get a chance to unveil the new read for next month:



Last year, Mary lent me another book by this same author called The Passion of Mary Margaret. It was one of those books that left you thinking, "Hmmmmmm". But like I said, a person has to pick something that not everyone has read, and so I picked one this time, that not even I have read. I bought this up some months back with the intention to read it, in case it might be a good choice for book club. But not having time, and not having read anything else that really struck me that other people hadn't read, I decided to roll the dice. Hopefully, it will be worth our time and effort!

Now I'm excited to plan the menu! See you at my house next month, 2nd Thursday!

5 comments:

Marisa said...

It was a quiet, relaxed sort of night, wasn't it? I can't wait to come to your house next month!

The Farmer's Wife said...

I'M ready for you to plan the menu, too!

I wish I had been able to come. Thanks for writing it up! Next month will be a very interesting discussion, indeed...

Marina said...

I love your requirements for the book...hilarious. I hope that one fit the bill!

Rosie O'Grady said...

I love your report, and I am just curious as to who the boisterous members are? Every time I read the Cohagen Book Club Review I am tempted to hunt up a book club and join, then I realize there could never be two like this one, so I let the urge go.

Montana Calamity said...

I can't believe you go to so much work to pick a book out for someone who gets up to check a cow every two hours. I am anxious to see everyone, the food sounds wonderful.