Bins

Bins

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Girl's Day Out

When most people hear the term "Girl's Day Out" it usually includes thinking about shopping, lunch at a fancy bistro or cafe, a mani and pedi, or a complete spa day. Well, it's a little different out here in our neighborhood.

Yesterday, Scott asked me to head over to his parents' ranch to check on our cows that are spending the summer there. I was willing, but a little hesitant, because I'd only been back to the pastures once a few years ago, when we went to check on Karen and Gus's cattle when they were out of town. So in order to do an effective job of finding the actual cattle, instead of getting lost or wandering off a cut-bank, Karen graciously acted as tour guide.

We loaded a couple of bags of mineral on her four-wheeler, fueled up, aired up a tire (after we had to take the compressor reset button apart and wiggle things until it sparked--literally--to life) and headed out. While I knew that Karen and Gus's country was much different and rougher than here at the Rock Springs place, it was quite a lot rougher than I thought. It really reminded me of where I grew up, down near the Missouri River Breaks, with its juniper plants, occasional cedar trees, deep draws, and gumbo side-hills. We spent about 3 hours out and about looking for cows who were hidden in deep draws all throughout the pasture in bunches of 3-5 pairs. We did see a couple of bunches with 10-15 pair, but the rest were all spread out. They are really doing well! There is grass-a-plenty, with some western wheat grass we saw that was 6 inches taller than the front of my four wheeler. Apparently blue-joint tastes better than your pasture-variety-grass, because in the few places we found that in the bottom of the creeks, the girls had eaten it down to the ground. We hit a couple of neat springs that Gus and Karen developed and saw a pretty nice sized white-tail buck, which I didn't quite get a picture of  because my camera battery was having issues.

I really enjoyed my morning "out". Thanks Karen!





See those cattle to the left in that draw?



Some Really BIG country!



They look pretty happy don't they?





This is where we saw the deer, just below me at the top of the draw,  right near a cedar tree.



All the different rocks and other geographical features make me wish I would have paid more attention during physical science class when I was a freshman!







Karen, heading down a big hill, on our way back toward the house.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow. Not a QT for miles around! Great pictures of God's beautiful creation.

Montana Calamity said...

You welcome. I enjoyed our outing also.

Rosie O'Grady said...

These are really good pictures of the Big Country1